This a really easy and quick kimchi without using whey. The natural lactobacillus on the surface of the vegetables can be harvested by using salt to get the fermentation started.
Just core a head of Napa cabbage by slicing it in half at the base of the head. Cut out the core then cut cabbage into 2 inch pieces.
Put the cut cabbage into a colander that is sitting atop a room temperature skillet.
Next peel and cut into 2 inch pieces one cucumber and add to the same colander.
Coat the vegetables in 1/4 cup of kosher salt and mix together so all pieces are covered in salt. Cover with a towel and let sit for 2 hours.
Don’t forget to save your scraps in a ziploc in the freezer so when the bag is full, you can make homemade vegetable stock.
While the vegetables are in the brine, make the sauce that it will be stored in. This is where all the flavor is.
Place vinegar, sweet chili paste, garlic, honey, and freshly grated ginger in a medium sized bowl and whisk together.
Once the vegetables are done marinating in the brine, rinse the salt off them with water and pat dry. Place the vegetables in a bowl, add the sauce and scallions and mix well.
Place the mixture in a quart size mason jar and press down on vegetables to submerge in juice. If the vegetables don’t stay submerged add just enough water until they do.
Refrigerate for 3 hours and enjoy!
- 1 head Napa cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds), outer leaves removed, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 2’ inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 3 tablespoons hot chili paste
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Combine the cabbage and cucumbers in a colander. Add the salt and mix well. Place the colander over a bowl and let drain, covered, and until wilted, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the rice vinegar, sweetener, chili paste, grated ginger, and garlic into a large bowl and stir. Rinse off the salt from the cabbage. Pat dry and add to the vinegar mixture; stir well to combine. Add the sliced scallions and mix to incorporate. Put the kimchi into a sterilized glass jar and pack the cabbage and cucumbers down; add enough water to cover. Close the jar and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. May add or subtract chili paste to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine